St. John in-the-Wilderness in Flat Rock, North Carolina was the first Episcopal Church in Western North Carolina. It was consecrated on August 28, 1836. Charles and Susan Baring, who considered Charleston, South Carolina too hot in the summer, were among the first settlers of Flat Rock in the 1820s. Other people moved from Charleston to Flat Rock, which Bishop Ives called a “new but interesting settlement” in 1837.
Camera: Nikon D7100 • ISO 3200 • 38mm • -0.67 ev • f/22 • 1/60